Thursday, September 22, 2011

Guarded Hearts: Part 1


Turns out there is reason or two or three that God has given for guarding our hearts. It is not so you don't have the ability to love. It is so you love people correctly.Wait? There is a wrong way to love? Yup... Explain when someone becomes so important to you that you become a sponge of only what pleases them or what pleased you when you are with them? What about putting that relationship above God? Some would argue that God was not talking about relationships when He said :Have no other gods before Me. But how else do you define a god, than an idol? Someone or something that you put above Him? And yet, if we were to follow the request to guard our heart, then how does one do it???

I am reading a book called, The Sacred Romance, How to Draw Closer to God. It shares different scriptural ways to help each lover of God guard their heart so they ca focus on the things in life that really matter. I'm game! I will be sharing as I learn...

We have been inundated by movies like Jerry McGuire with romantic notions like "you....complete me." Yeah. Cinderella...Aren't we all in search for "You are my happily ever after?" "You are my everything, I swear the only thing that matters matters to me..." "You're one...in a million..."

In Proverbs 4 verse 23 says..."above all else; Guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life." Wow. The wellspring of life???? It must be pretty important then. Yet for some reason each of us in life experiences a heart trampled on, broken, torn a part, mistreated and misplaced. Imagine! This same heart of yours is COVETED by God. Your heart, my heart...it is our most prized possession or why put so much emphasis on it???

The moment a relationship takes the place of God, it becomes an idol. We are created by God in His image. We have an inner desire to be appreciated, desired, cared for accepted... But the problem is that we seek this acceptance and care from others that also desire to be appreciated, desired and cared for. So as it was explained to me so well today, "both of you are a sponge. what you lack, the other has and vice-verso. So when you receive what you lack from the other and that person from you, it seems like the puzzle is complete, except for the fact that you were not created to be filled this way. That puzzle piece is a lie. It takes the place of what God is able to do in you. So as you pull away you feel the damage, the hurt, the sorrow of loss." These feelings are because of an unguarded heart. I am not talking about a healthy marriage. I am talking about a co-dependent relationship of any kind where someone takes the place of God in your mind and life, even when you do not realize it has happened.

God says in Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."

Ps. 138:8 "The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands."

These verses and many others speak of the One who can perfect or complete me. It mentions nothing of earthly relationships doing what these songs and movies that we have incorporated into our everyday lives of mushy completion that give us this false thought process of a human being able to complete or finish something in us that God has already told us that HE IS THE COMPLETER.

I am on a new journey. I wish to share it with all who will desire a closeness with God that passes an earthly understanding. I am just starting to understand...maybe an 1/8 of an understanding...I will probably never get to the whole as we see through a clouded glass until heaven. I can't begin to comprehend the love of my Father in Heaven but...

The point to this blog: I am already complete. You (if you are a believer in Christ) are already complete. There is nothing to search for. God delights in His children. He delights in me. He delights in you. This life is full of people that desire that same completeness. What do we do with that knowledge? Who do we share THAT kind of love with? How many times will you give your heart away? If I guard my heart, I will be able to love as God created me to love.

I know this blog was long. Thank you for joining me on my hearts' journey. I hope it becomes your hearts' journey as well. :) With Love in Christ, Karin~Rochelle

No comments:

Post a Comment