Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Word Vomit; ie. Empty Promises

Let me just put out there right away, I do not intend to write pretty little words everyday for the sake of glorifying myself. I plan on speaking the truth, with the hope that someone who reads it will be turned away from their bad choices and moved to walk in the newness of Life through Christ. Most of the time honesty is harsh and I will not edit the fact that God has redeemed me from the wickedness of the world and I still struggle daily with my sin nature. On that note, I would like to write today about WORD VOMIT.

We have all spewed words of emptiness to someone else. Oh! We mean well, of that I am sure. "I will love you til my dying day!" "Nothing can every change my mind about the feelings I have for you!" "I can't see myself without you!" "You are everything I have ever needed!" "Why would I ever cheat on you!" I am not speaking about our earthly relationships, although it is funny how so many times we say these exact things to people we say we love.

In 33 years I have thought I was selfish with words like these. I have only shared them 3 times. And I have had 3 broken relationships. So, words are not everything unless they are backed by something. And that something cannot be GOOD INTENTIONS.

Sadly, my entire life I have been spewing empty promises, including to my Savior. All of those things we say to other people, mean nothing if we cannot follow through with them. In our sin nature, I do not believe anyone can follow through on a promise UNLESS God is the one guiding them. The moment sin nature takes control and someone stops dying to self, all they have to show for it is a bunch of empty words...ie. WORD VOMIT.

I am realizing as I come back to my first Love, Jesus Christ, that all those promises I made to earthly lovers had no stick-to-tuity (my dad's clever word) because I was not fully grounded in the Love of Christ. Oh! Don't get me wrong, I sang His praises, and many times I was moved emotionally to make commitments to Him. Just as I was moved emotionally to make commitments to my past spouses.

Please read these words and then go study the verses for yourself that I share in the next paragraph. I am not writing this to be your Holy Spirit. I, above all, know that NO ONE can be your Holy Spirit. You will spew word vomit until you are blue in the face and stuck down a well deeper than you ever thought your sin could dig you until YOU allow the Holy Spirit to work His way in you. I am just here to plant a seed.

As several of my past pastors have said: what you FEEL is true and what God STATES is true are two different things at times (unless you are already focused on only God's truth. So two verses: The first is about WORD VOMIT.

Revelation 3:16
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.

This is talking about my life. I have been neither hot nor cold for many years now. One foot on the alter and the other in the world making decisions and promises that could not be kept because I was living a lukewarm fantasy. All of those promises I gave to my past relationships, while I meant them in my human feelings of the time, were not based on the True love of Christ because my HEART was not fully committed to my first Love. The one to teach about what Love really is, what it feels, how it behaves, how it doesn't lust or act in impatience...Wow. When I do not die to self daily, I cannot even begin to comprehend how God loves me. I am glad His grace and mercy are over me.

I could ramble for hours on this, but just go read it for yourself and ask God where if any place in your life are you trying to keep a part for YOU instead of giving it all to Him. Final verse of the day, I learned from my dad when I was a young teen. 2 Timothy 2:15
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Do not take what I say at face value! Go study it for yourself. I am human. I am of sinful nature. You should put NO ONE on a pedestal above God. Read, study this stuff for yourself always. You cannot rightly divide (or understand) the Word of God if you read someone else's words and then do not find out if they are grounded in the Truth of the Bible.

I pray God to work in my life and keep me from empty promises of this world that I may not cause pain to others anymore. I continually see His works and His love poured out on me and I am so grateful that He has taken me back as a prodigal son. "I am a child of the King. He loves me I know. And he never forsaketh His own. He will call me someday, to my home far away..." (an old song I just remembered from 5th grade)

Love in Christ, Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment